Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Far East is a pain

Scheduling a crew of 7 people with over 350lbs of equipment, with the airfare, hotels and meals all for free in Singapore, Vietnam, and Thailand has proved to be...a big pain in my ass. Actually Singapore hasn't been that bad, the tourism board is extremely supportive. It's Vietnam that's the trouble. First of all, they have the gaul to be 12 hours ahead, which means if I want to talk to someone, my day starts at 9pm and ends (if I'm lucky) at 1am. I was in the office until 2am last night and didn't get into bed until 4am.

Also, Vietnamese is not the easiest language barrier to cross. The act of getting a simple e-mail address proves challenging. Multiply that challenge by 100 if the connection is bad. I wish I was going, but alas, The Barista has finally gotten into a film festival, The Woods Hole Film Festival, so I will be in Cape Cod for like 8 days. I am excited to attend my first film festival and even more excited for a quiet New England vacation. Small town, right on the beach. Sounds familiar. Oh wait, that's right, I grew up in a town like that.

Speaking of which, I have recently thought a lot about good ol East Lyme, CT. I've thought about going back there for a bit, kind of a break from big city life. Just a thought though, not sure how feasible it would be to do such a thing.

I've also given more serious thought to going to school in San Francisco for Visual FX. I've also thought about running a Bed and Breakfast in the Carribbean, or even moving to Bermuda or Mexico for a possible job opportunity in the New Year.

The jist of all this is.....I'm looking for a change of scenery. Been in New York too long. Anyone else feel like they need to do something new with their life at 27? Let's discuss.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote you go to East Lyme...it is the best place on Earth! And I kindof grew up there...or I wish I did.

Lovely Lisa said...

maybe you should try the midwest

The Garbage Man said...

"Let's open up a restaurant in Santa Fe, Sunny Sante Fe would be nice."

Ian Savage said...

Hey Joe, that's a great Idea, you can count me IN! Ihave always wanted to run a restaurant, and I believe I have the capabilities...it's just the means I'm lacking in. You got the means, you got yourself a partner!

Greg Tito said...

He's quoting Rent.

Ian Savage said...

Once again, my good friend bob jingle makes me look like an ass. Thanks!

Greg Tito said...

I'm writing this comment in response to Bern. You rock, Bern.